Baul Fakiri Utsav
Baul Fakiri Utsav
This three-day festival launched in 2010 celebrates Baul music, which has been resonating across the horizons of Bengal and beyond for several centuries. There are about 2,500 Baul musicians in different districts of West Bengal, especially Nadia, Murshidabad, Birbhum, Bardhaman and Bankura. The Baul Fakiri Utsav sees 150 to 200 of them gathering to celebrate their art from dawn to dusk.
In the day time, Bauls and Fakirs meet and perform informally at akhras (intimate spaces). During the evening, some of the leading exponents of the folk music form present stage performances. These include Sadhan Das Bairagya, Bhajan Das Bairagya, Golam Fakir, Babu Fakir, Arman Fakir, Rina Das Baul, Chhote Golam and Sadhu Das Baul.
The festival concludes with a ‘milan’, a ritual that marks the festival’s end where the union between the individual soul and the universal soul is celebrated through the allegory of Radha and Krishna. In the milan, literary “union”, the musicians sing in unison and embrace each other after the performance. In 2022, around 240 bauls from different districts like Nadia, Murshidabad, Bankura, Bardhaman (Purba and Paschim) and Birbhum in West Bengal participated and enchanted the audience with their soulful music in the festival. Russian folk music band Otava Yo also performed in the 2022 edition of the festival.
The upcoming edition of the Baul Fakiri Utsav will be held between 24 and 26 Nov 2023 at Bannabagram Baul Fakiri Ashram in the Purba Bardhaman District of West Bengal.
Check out more music festivals here.
How To Get There
How to Reach Bardhaman
1. By Air: The Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport in Kolkata, 102 km away from Bardhaman, is the nearest airport that connects Bardhaman to the rest of India.
2. By Rail and Road: Bardhaman is well connected to the rest of India by both rail and road. Regular rail and bus services ply to and fro the city of Bardhaman. The main Howrah-Delhi railway track also passes through it. Visitors can take both private and state-run buses, such as those operated by West Bengal State Road Transport Corporation.
- Wheelchair access
- Masks mandatory
- Only fully vaccinated attendees allowed
- Sanitiser booths
- Socially distanced
Items & Accessories to Carry
1. West Bengal is pleasant and dry in November. Light woolens are recommended.
2. A sturdy water bottle, if the festival has refillable water stations.
3. COVID packs: Hand sanitiser, extra masks and a copy of your vaccination certificate are things you should keep handy.
About Banglanatak dot com
Banglanatak dot com
Founded in 2000, banglanatak dot com is a social enterprise specialising in culture and…
- Festivals From India is not associated with ticketing, merchandising and refund matters of any Festival organised by Festival Organisers. Festivals From India shall not be responsible for any conflict between a User and Festival Organiser in matters related to ticketing, merchandising and refund matters of any Festival.
- The date / timings / artist line-up of any Festival may change as per the Festival Organiser’s discretion and Festivals From India has no control over such changes.
- For the registration of a Festival, the Users will be redirected to the website of such Festival or to any third party website under the discretion / arrangement of Festival Organisers. Once a User has completed their registration for a Festival, they will receive their registration confirmation by email from the Festival Organisers or the third party websites where the event registration is hosted. Users are advised to enter their valid email correctly on the registration form. Users may also check their junk / spam email box in case any of their Festival email(s) are caught by spam filters.
- Events are marked COVID safe based on self-declarations made by the festival organiser regarding compliance with government/local authority COVID-19 protocols. Festivals From India shall have no liability as to the actual compliance with COVID-19 protocols.
Additional Terms for Digital Festivals
- Users may face interruptions during the course of the live stream due to internet connectivity issues. Neither Festivals From India nor the Festival Organiser is responsible for such interruptions.
- The Digital Festival / Event may have interactive elements and will involve participation from the Users.