Chair Poetry Evenings
Chair Poetry Evenings
Established in 2018, the Chair Poetry Evenings – Kolkata’s International Poetry Festival has since become one of the largest poetry festivals in the world. The very first edition of the festival saw poets from Belgium, Slovakia, France, Ireland and various parts of India take part in it. Chair Poetry Evenings presents poets from around the globe “with an eye to tell stories through those voices which have enabled poetry to come thus far over time.” Events from the festival are hosted across several venues in Kolkata. Presenting eminent names in poetry from across the world, the festival has featured poets from over 20 countries reading in 25 different languages so far. It is “one of the few festivals where a poetry reading is held on a river cruise down the Ganga.”
Organised by the Chair Literary Trust, the “participants in the festival have ranged from Poet Laureates to Man Booker Prize, Pulitzer Prize, Sahitya Akademi and other international award winners”. Some of the noteworthy names to have featured in the Chair Poetry Evenings so far include Ben Okri, Vijay Sheshadri, Forrest Gander, Manglesh Dabral, Rajesh Joshi, Arun Kamal, Ruth Padel and Brian Turner.
Check out more literature festivals here.
How To Get There
How to Reach Kolkata
1. By Air: The Kolkata international airport, better known as the Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport, is located at Dumdum. It connects Kolkata with all the major cities of the country as well as the world.
2. By Rail: The Howrah and Sealdah railway stations are the two major railheads situated in the city. Both these stations are well connected to all the important cities of the country.
3. By Road: The West Bengal state buses and various private buses travel to and from different parts of the country at a reasonable cost. Some places near Kolkata are Sunderbans (112 km), Puri (495 km), Konark (571 km) and Darjeeling (624 km).
- Gendered toilets
- Wheelchair access
- Sanitiser booths
- Socially distanced
Items and accessories to carry
1. A sturdy water bottle, if the festival has refillable water stations, and if the venue allows bottles to be taken inside the festival site. Hey, let’s do our bit for the environment, shall we?
2. Footwear: Sneakers (a perfect option if it’s not likely to rain) or boots (but make sure they are worn in).
3. COVID packs: Hand sanitiser, extra masks and a copy of your vaccination certificate are things you should keep handy.
- Festivals From India is not associated with ticketing, merchandising and refund matters of any Festival organised by Festival Organisers. Festivals From India shall not be responsible for any conflict between a User and Festival Organiser in matters related to ticketing, merchandising and refund matters of any Festival.
- The date / timings / artist line-up of any Festival may change as per the Festival Organiser’s discretion and Festivals From India has no control over such changes.
- For the registration of a Festival, the Users will be redirected to the website of such Festival or to any third party website under the discretion / arrangement of Festival Organisers. Once a User has completed their registration for a Festival, they will receive their registration confirmation by email from the Festival Organisers or the third party websites where the event registration is hosted. Users are advised to enter their valid email correctly on the registration form. Users may also check their junk / spam email box in case any of their Festival email(s) are caught by spam filters.
- Events are marked COVID safe based on self-declarations made by the festival organiser regarding compliance with government/local authority COVID-19 protocols. Festivals From India shall have no liability as to the actual compliance with COVID-19 protocols.
Additional Terms for Digital Festivals
- Users may face interruptions during the course of the live stream due to internet connectivity issues. Neither Festivals From India nor the Festival Organiser is responsible for such interruptions.
- The Digital Festival / Event may have interactive elements and will involve participation from the Users.