Khushwant Singh Literary Festival
Khushwant Singh Literary Festival
The Khushwant Singh Literary Festival is held annually in Kasauli in October. Organised by the Khushwant Singh Foundation, It promotes the legacy of author, scholar, journalist and iconoclast Khushwant Singh by discussing the values for which he stood. The festival, launched in 2012, raises awareness around causes in which he believed. These include equal opportunities for women, Indo-Pakistan friendship and the preservation of ecology. Profits from the event are ploughed back into initiatives that work for the betterment of the ecology and the education of the girl child.
Fareed Zakaria, Pavan K. Varma, Pico Iyer, Sudha Murthy and Vikram Seth are a few of the writers who have been part of the festival. Every instalment of the festival has had sessions on ecology, and has thus far featured speakers such as Amitav Ghosh, Bittu Sahgal, Erling Kagge, Jairam Ramesh and Jono Lineen.
An off-shoot of the festival was started in London in 2019. It takes place in the spring of each year and has featured the likes of Imtiaz Dharker, Jane Goodall, Meghnad Desai, Mihir Bose and Shrabani Basu.
While Kasauli is where Singh had a home and did a great deal of his writing, London is where he worked and studied. The city shaped many of his passions and concerns. Both the Kasauli and London editions of the Khushwant Singh Literary Festival were held online in 2020 and 2021.
The festival returned to its in-person format in 2022. Speakers who participated at the last edition of the festival include Amitav Ghosh, Bachi Karkaria, Cyrus Broacha, Divya Dutta, Geetanjali Shree, Hariprasad Chaurasia, Mallika Sarabhai, Muzaffar Ali, Parvati Sharma, Pavan Varma, Rajmohan Gandhi, Shaili Chopra and Usha Uthup among others.
Read about other literature festivals here.
- Festivals From India is not associated with ticketing, merchandising and refund matters of any Festival organised by Festival Organisers. Festivals From India shall not be responsible for any conflict between a User and Festival Organiser in matters related to ticketing, merchandising and refund matters of any Festival.
- The date / timings / artist line-up of any Festival may change as per the Festival Organiser’s discretion and Festivals From India has no control over such changes.
- For the registration of a Festival, the Users will be redirected to the website of such Festival or to any third party website under the discretion / arrangement of Festival Organisers. Once a User has completed their registration for a Festival, they will receive their registration confirmation by email from the Festival Organisers or the third party websites where the event registration is hosted. Users are advised to enter their valid email correctly on the registration form. Users may also check their junk / spam email box in case any of their Festival email(s) are caught by spam filters.
- Events are marked COVID safe based on self-declarations made by the festival organiser regarding compliance with government/local authority COVID-19 protocols. Festivals From India shall have no liability as to the actual compliance with COVID-19 protocols.
Additional Terms for Digital Festivals
- Users may face interruptions during the course of the live stream due to internet connectivity issues. Neither Festivals From India nor the Festival Organiser is responsible for such interruptions.
- The Digital Festival / Event may have interactive elements and will involve participation from the Users.