Mahindra Excellence in Theatre Awards
Mahindra Excellence in Theatre Awards
The Mahindra Excellence in Theatre Awards (META), instituted by the Mahindra Group in 2006, recognises and rewards India’s best theatre productions and practitioners across regions and languages. META, which is held every year across multiple venues in Delhi, aims to increase awareness and appreciation of Indian theatre and give a voice to diverse themes. The Mahindra Excellence in Theatre Awards nominates 10 plays out of hundreds of submissions to be staged over a week. The award recognises all aspects of the stage, by presenting awards in 13 categories including playwriting, set, costume and light design, direction and performance. A Lifetime Achievement Award is also presented at the awards night.
Social issues, mythology, religion, gender, caste, class and politics have all been explored by the nominated plays. Among the landmark productions that have been bestowed with multiple METAs are Indian Ensemble’s Gasha (2013), The Company Theatre’s Piya Behrupiya (2014), Dramanon’s Akshayambara (2016), Dur Se Brothers’ Elephant in the Room (2017), Black Theatre’s Nona (2018) and Black Box Okhla’s For the Record (2020). Though the festival did not take place in 2021, the organisers held a series of online talks and masterclasses in its place.
For the 2022 edition, which marked the return of the festival in an in-person format, four award-winning plays from the 2020 instalment were staged. They were For the Record (Hindi and English), O. T. Shajahan and Back Stage’s Bhaskara Pattelarum Thommiyude Jeevithavum (Malayalam), Orchid Theatre’s The Old Man (Assamese and gibberish) and Thakurpukur Ichheymoto’s Ghoom Nei (Bengali).
The upcoming edition of META will be held between 23 and 29 March, 2023 at Kamani Auditorium and Shri Ram Centre (SRC) in Delhi. The plays being showcased at META 2023 include Namak (Hindi), Lavani Ke Rang (Hindi and Marathi), Burn Out (Assamese), The Departed Dawn (non-verbal), Hunkaro (Awadhi, Hindi, Marwadi and Haryanavi) and many others. You can get booking links for all the shows here.
Check out more theatre festivals here.
How To Get There
How to Reach Delhi
1. By Air: Delhi is well connected by domestic and international flights to all the major cities within and outside India. Almost all the major airlines have their flights operating from Indira Gandhi International Airport in New Delhi. The Domestic Airport connects Delhi to the major cities in India.
Discover affordable flights to Delhi on IndiGo.
2. By Rail: The railway network connects Delhi to all major and nearly all the minor destinations in India. The three important railway stations of Delhi are New Delhi Railway Station, Old Delhi Railway Station and Hazrat Nizamuddin Railway Station.
3. By Road: Delhi is well connected by a network of roads and national highways, with all the major cities in India. The three major bus stands in Delhi are Inter State Bus Terminus (ISBT) at Kashmiri Gate, Sarai Kale Khan Bus Terminus and Anand Vihar Bus Terminus. Both government and private transport providers run frequent bus services. One can also hire government-run as well as private taxis here.
- Food stalls
- Free drinking water
- Gendered toilets
- Live streaming
- Parking facilities
- Wheelchair access
Items & Accessories to Carry
1. Carry clothes suitable for the shifty spring temperatures during March and April.
2. A sturdy water bottle, if the festival has refillable water stations, and if the venue allows bottles to be taken inside.
3. COVID packs: Hand sanitiser, extra masks and a copy of your vaccination certificate are things you should keep handy.
About Teamwork Arts
Teamwork Arts is a production company with roots in the performing arts, social action…
Plot No 366 Min,
Sultanpur MG Road,
New Delhi - 110030
- Festivals From India is not associated with ticketing, merchandising and refund matters of any Festival organised by Festival Organisers. Festivals From India shall not be responsible for any conflict between a User and Festival Organiser in matters related to ticketing, merchandising and refund matters of any Festival.
- The date / timings / artist line-up of any Festival may change as per the Festival Organiser’s discretion and Festivals From India has no control over such changes.
- For the registration of a Festival, the Users will be redirected to the website of such Festival or to any third party website under the discretion / arrangement of Festival Organisers. Once a User has completed their registration for a Festival, they will receive their registration confirmation by email from the Festival Organisers or the third party websites where the event registration is hosted. Users are advised to enter their valid email correctly on the registration form. Users may also check their junk / spam email box in case any of their Festival email(s) are caught by spam filters.
- Events are marked COVID safe based on self-declarations made by the festival organiser regarding compliance with government/local authority COVID-19 protocols. Festivals From India shall have no liability as to the actual compliance with COVID-19 protocols.
Additional Terms for Digital Festivals
- Users may face interruptions during the course of the live stream due to internet connectivity issues. Neither Festivals From India nor the Festival Organiser is responsible for such interruptions.
- The Digital Festival / Event may have interactive elements and will involve participation from the Users.