Malda Folk Festival
Malda Folk Festival
The Malda Folk Festival will showcase the cultural and historical heritage of the eponymous district in West Bengal. The event is a part of the Rural Craft and Culture Hub project initiated by Department of Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises and Textiles, Government of West Bengal, in collaboration with UNESCO to strengthen the intangible cultural heritage-based crafts and performing arts of the state.
The Malda district is home to the unique performance art forms of gambhira and domni. It also houses indigenous communities skilled in basketry. The Malda Folk Festival will showcase the diverse arts and crafts of the region as well as its food specialities. Each day will feature an exhibition and sale from 11 am to 7 pm and a cultural show from 4 pm to 7 pm.
Visitors will get to interact with and witness performances of gambhira by teams led by Amar Mondol, Arun Basak, Ashim Ray, Anil Majumdar, Rabi Shankar, Prashanta Seth, Pradip Mondol and Manaranjan Mondol; of domni by teams led by Basudeb Mondol, Abhiram Mondol and Sachin Mondol; and of raibenshe by a team led by Sentu Bitter. They will also have a chance to watch recitals of Bhawaiya and Baul music by groups headed by Krishna Mahanta and Arjun Khyapa respectively.
Check out more folk arts festivals here.
How To Get There
How to Reach Malda
1. By Air: The airport closest to Malda is Bagdogra Airport. It is about 250 km from the city. From here, you can take private buses or hire cabs to reach Malda. The journey may also be undertaken by a public transport bus, which would be less expensive.
2. By Rail: Malda Station is one of the prominent railway stations of West Bengal and also serves as the divisional headquarters of the Eastern Railway. All trains bound north of Bengal and the northeastern states of India halt here.
3. By Road: NH 34 is the national highway that connects Malda with all the other important cities in the country. Malda can be reached by buses from Kolkata, Murshidabad and Siliguri. Kolkata is about 410 km and Siliguri is 260 km away.
- Unisex toilets
- Masks mandatory
- Sanitiser booths
Items & Accessories to Carry
1. Loose, airy cotton clothes with long sleeves to tackle the hot weather.
2. An umbrella, if you happen to get caught in a sudden shower.
3. A sturdy water bottle.
4. COVID packs: Hand sanitiser, extra masks and a copy of your vaccination certificate.
About Rural Craft and Cultural Hub
Rural Craft and Cultural Hub
The Rural Craft and Culture Hub of West Bengal is an initiative of the…
- Festivals From India is not associated with ticketing, merchandising and refund matters of any Festival organised by Festival Organisers. Festivals From India shall not be responsible for any conflict between a User and Festival Organiser in matters related to ticketing, merchandising and refund matters of any Festival.
- The date / timings / artist line-up of any Festival may change as per the Festival Organiser’s discretion and Festivals From India has no control over such changes.
- For the registration of a Festival, the Users will be redirected to the website of such Festival or to any third party website under the discretion / arrangement of Festival Organisers. Once a User has completed their registration for a Festival, they will receive their registration confirmation by email from the Festival Organisers or the third party websites where the event registration is hosted. Users are advised to enter their valid email correctly on the registration form. Users may also check their junk / spam email box in case any of their Festival email(s) are caught by spam filters.
- Events are marked COVID safe based on self-declarations made by the festival organiser regarding compliance with government/local authority COVID-19 protocols. Festivals From India shall have no liability as to the actual compliance with COVID-19 protocols.
Additional Terms for Digital Festivals
- Users may face interruptions during the course of the live stream due to internet connectivity issues. Neither Festivals From India nor the Festival Organiser is responsible for such interruptions.
- The Digital Festival / Event may have interactive elements and will involve participation from the Users.