Ripples is a three-day arts and crafts festival that was first held in January 2021 across the Birbhum district of West Bengal with the aim of promoting heritage and rural cultural tourism and contributing to the long-term resilience and sustainability of the artist and artisan communities. The festival is organised by Banglanatak dot com and is supported by the British Council.
Through demonstrations and sales conducted both online and offline, Ripples Festival helped fill the gaps in craftspersons’ income caused by the cessation of fairs on account of the COVID-19 pandemic. The success of the inaugural edition led to the second instalment of the festival in December 2021 at Bardhaman. Kantha embroidery, Dokra handicrafts, Baul music, Chadar Badar puppetry and folk theatre were some of the folk arts and crafts forms showcased across the two editions of the festival.
Check out more arts and crafts festivals here.
How To Get There
How to Reach West Bengal
1. By Air: Kolkata is an important river harbour in the eastern part of the country; the Haldia port and the Kolkata port are under The Kolkata Port Trust. Ship transport services are available to Port Blair. Freight transport services to various harbours in the country and overseas are carried out by the Shipping Corporation of India.
2. By Rail: Air networks in this state can be used for internal and interstate commuting. Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport is located at Dumdum in Kolkata and Bagdogra airport at Siliguri in North Bengal. Regular flights operate from major cities of the country and the world to West Bengal. From the airport, tourists can take taxis or buses to reach their destination. Kazi Najrul Islam airport at Asansole-Durgapore has been set up. Smaller Air and Helicopter services are also coming up at Balurghat, Cooch Behar.
3. By Road: A well planned and extensive road network covers the entire state of West Bengal. A number of National Highways and State Highways cross through the state. One can easily approach the state from neighbouring states, like Bihar, Orissa and Jharkhand, via road. Cross border roadways are also fully functional with neighbouring countries like Nepal, Bhutan and Bangladesh. Kolkata and West Bengal are well connected with bus, taxi and auto services. There are regular buses from other major cities of the country to Kolkata. Bus services to North Bengal, South Bengal and all Districts are easily available through a wide road network of National highways, State highways and rural networks. Various types of local transport are also available like taxi, auto rickshaw, toto, jeep and horse-ridden carts, at a few places in Kolkata.
- Charging booths
- Free drinking water
- Gendered toilets
- Live streaming
- Parking facilities
- Virtual festival
- Wheelchair access
About Banglanatak dot com
- Festivals From India is not associated with ticketing, merchandising and refund matters of any Festival organised by Festival Organisers. Festivals From India shall not be responsible for any conflict between a User and Festival Organiser in matters related to ticketing, merchandising and refund matters of any Festival.
- The date / timings / artist line-up of any Festival may change as per the Festival Organiser’s discretion and Festivals From India has no control over such changes.
- For the registration of a Festival, the Users will be redirected to the website of such Festival or to any third party website under the discretion / arrangement of Festival Organisers. Once a User has completed their registration for a Festival, they will receive their registration confirmation by email from the Festival Organisers or the third party websites where the event registration is hosted. Users are advised to enter their valid email correctly on the registration form. Users may also check their junk / spam email box in case any of their Festival email(s) are caught by spam filters.
- Events are marked COVID safe based on self-declarations made by the festival organiser regarding compliance with government/local authority COVID-19 protocols. Festivals From India shall have no liability as to the actual compliance with COVID-19 protocols.
Additional Terms for Digital Festivals
- Users may face interruptions during the course of the live stream due to internet connectivity issues. Neither Festivals From India nor the Festival Organiser is responsible for such interruptions.
- The Digital Festival / Event may have interactive elements and will involve participation from the Users.