Uttar Dinajpur Festival
Uttar Dinajpur Festival
The Uttar Dinajpur Festival which takes place annually at Raiganj in the Uttar Dinajpur District of West Bengal highlights the rich cultural heritage of North Bengal through its performing arts and handicrafts. The festival is part of the Rural Craft and Cultural Hubs of West Bengal initiative, which aims to promote and strengthen the state’s ICH-based craft and performing arts with the support of the Department of MSME&T and UNESCO. The festival showcases the traditional wooden masks that are an integral part of the Gomira dance and Khon, a traditional folk drama, both of which are performed in the surrounding villages of Uttar and Dakshin Dinajpur such as Kushmundi and Krishnabati. These masks have received the coveted Geographical Indication (GI) tag in 2018 and are highly sought after by collectors. The festival also features dokra (a native craft of Bengal involving non-ferrous metal casting using the lost-wax casting technique), pottery work and bamboo basketry.
The festival was held between 7th to 9th April 2023 at the playground of Sudarsanpur Dwarika Prashad Uchcha Vidyachakra in Raiganj, Uttar Dinajpur, West Bengal.
Check out more arts and crafts festivals here.
How To Get There
How to Reach Raiganj
1. By Air: The nearest airport is in Jessore at a distance of 80km from Raiganj.
2. By Rail: The nearest railway station is at Katihar which is located at a distance of 55 km.
3. By Road: Take a bus from Kolkata to Balurghat. After reaching Balurghat, take another bus to Raiganj.
Items & Accessories To Carry
1. Light and airy cotton clothes; Raiganj is typically very hot in March.
2. A sturdy water bottle, if the festival has refillable water stations, and if the venue allows bottles to be taken inside.
3. Comfortable footwear such as sneakers (a perfect option if it’s not likely to rain).
4. COVID packs: Hand sanitiser, extra masks and a copy of your vaccination certificate are things you should keep handy.
About Banglanatak dot com
- Festivals From India is not associated with ticketing, merchandising and refund matters of any Festival organised by Festival Organisers. Festivals From India shall not be responsible for any conflict between a User and Festival Organiser in matters related to ticketing, merchandising and refund matters of any Festival.
- The date / timings / artist line-up of any Festival may change as per the Festival Organiser’s discretion and Festivals From India has no control over such changes.
- For the registration of a Festival, the Users will be redirected to the website of such Festival or to any third party website under the discretion / arrangement of Festival Organisers. Once a User has completed their registration for a Festival, they will receive their registration confirmation by email from the Festival Organisers or the third party websites where the event registration is hosted. Users are advised to enter their valid email correctly on the registration form. Users may also check their junk / spam email box in case any of their Festival email(s) are caught by spam filters.
- Events are marked COVID safe based on self-declarations made by the festival organiser regarding compliance with government/local authority COVID-19 protocols. Festivals From India shall have no liability as to the actual compliance with COVID-19 protocols.
Additional Terms for Digital Festivals
- Users may face interruptions during the course of the live stream due to internet connectivity issues. Neither Festivals From India nor the Festival Organiser is responsible for such interruptions.
- The Digital Festival / Event may have interactive elements and will involve participation from the Users.