Wooden Doll Mela
Wooden Doll Mela
Rural artists from Natungram, Purba Bardhaman district, took centre stage at the Wooden Doll Mela, held between 15 and 16 April 2023 at Natungram, Purba Bardhaman, West Bengal, showcasing their skill in carving wooden dolls from a single piece of wood. The Wooden Doll Mela was part of the Rural Craft and Cultural Hubs of West Bengal initiative, which aimed to promote and strengthen the state’s ICH-based craft and performing arts with the support of the Department of MSME&T and UNESCO, and was supported by the District Administration of Purba Bardhaman.
The wooden dolls are designed with motifs based on culture and mythology and are upheld by the time-honoured techniques of master craftsmanship. They are famous for their vibrant colour, intricate design and ethnic style. The traditional designs based on culture and mythology, the richness of ideas, the brilliant combination of pure simplicity, combined with craftsmanship of the artists result in amazing works of art.
Check out more arts and crafts festivals here.
How To Get There
How to Reach Purba Bardhaman
1. By Air: Nearest airport is Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport & Kazi Nazrul Islam Airport, Andal, Paschim Bardhaman.
2. By Rail: Nearest railway station is Burdwan Junction.
3. By Road: Kolkata-Agra National Highway 19 (old numbering NH 2), covering a large part of the old Grand Trunk Road passes through this district. The other highways passing through the district are: National Highway 114, State Highway 6, State Highway 7, State Highway 13, State Highway 14 and State Highway 15. All the places of interest in the district are very well connected by road.
Items & Accessories To Carry
1. Light and airy cotton clothes; Bardhaman is typically very hot in April.
2. A sturdy water bottle, if the festival has refillable water stations, and if the venue allows bottles to be taken inside.
3. Comfortable footwear such as sneakers (a perfect option if it’s not likely to rain).
4. COVID packs: Hand sanitiser, extra masks and a copy of your vaccination certificate are things you should keep handy.
About Banglanatak dot com
- Festivals From India is not associated with ticketing, merchandising and refund matters of any Festival organised by Festival Organisers. Festivals From India shall not be responsible for any conflict between a User and Festival Organiser in matters related to ticketing, merchandising and refund matters of any Festival.
- The date / timings / artist line-up of any Festival may change as per the Festival Organiser’s discretion and Festivals From India has no control over such changes.
- For the registration of a Festival, the Users will be redirected to the website of such Festival or to any third party website under the discretion / arrangement of Festival Organisers. Once a User has completed their registration for a Festival, they will receive their registration confirmation by email from the Festival Organisers or the third party websites where the event registration is hosted. Users are advised to enter their valid email correctly on the registration form. Users may also check their junk / spam email box in case any of their Festival email(s) are caught by spam filters.
- Events are marked COVID safe based on self-declarations made by the festival organiser regarding compliance with government/local authority COVID-19 protocols. Festivals From India shall have no liability as to the actual compliance with COVID-19 protocols.
Additional Terms for Digital Festivals
- Users may face interruptions during the course of the live stream due to internet connectivity issues. Neither Festivals From India nor the Festival Organiser is responsible for such interruptions.
- The Digital Festival / Event may have interactive elements and will involve participation from the Users.