What’s the most popular music festival in the world? American entertainment magazine Billboard, best known for publishing the US’s most well-known music charts, has ranked the top 50 festivals, “based on influence both within the live-music ecosystem and as part of the larger music and cultural community”. The list, which they admit is subjective, is United States-centric, with 35 festivals from the States. The rest of the ranking is made up of events in the UK (two), Mexico (two), Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Denmark, Germany, Japan, Serbia, South Africa and Spain (one each). Sadly, no Indian festivals figure in the top 50.
Here are the top ten:
10. BottleRock Napa Valley, California, US | Best food and beverage festival
9. Stagecoach, California, US | Best country music festival
8. Bonnaroo, Tennessee, US | Best camping festival
7. Lollapalooza, Illinois, US | Best city festival
6. Tomorrowland, Flanders, Belgium | Best dance festival
5. South by Southwest, Texas, US | Best platform for music discovery
4. Outside Lands, San Francisco, US | Best festival site
3. Electric Daisy Carnival, Las Vegas, US | Best community
2. Glastonbury, Somerset, UK | Best festival culture
1. Coachella, California, US | Best overall
See the complete list here.